Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist Training
Prerequisites for Certification as a Tobacco Treatment Specialist
The criteria for becoming a CTTS were initially developed collaboratively by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, national expert reviewers, tobacco treatment professionals and the University of Medicine and Dentistry - Tobacco Dependence Program, which are described in the New Jersey Guidelines for Tobacco Treatment. The New Jersey guidelines outline prerequisites and training objectives that must be met before a health-care provider is considered a certified tobacco dependence treatment specialist. These include evidence-based tobacco specific assessment, counseling, and treatment knowledge and skills. These guidelines have in part been integrated into the new standards for competencies being developed by the Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence.
In order to obtain Certification, candidates must have a Masters or above in the Human Services field with one year of full-time counseling or health care experience, OR, a Bachelors in Human Services with two years of full-time counseling or health care experience, OR a CADC/LCADC/ nursing OR other recognized health related qualification, with four years of full time counseling or health care experience. The CTTS is not an independent clinical practice credential and should only be used for work within health care or counseling settings.
There are no specific prerequisite requirements to participate in the 4-Day tobacco treatment training course. Many health professionals find the material and information learned during the course extremely valuable in their daily activities, regardless of their interest to pursue certification.
The following steps are required for Certification as a Tobacco Dependence Treatment Specialist
- Successful completion of 42 credit hours via the Tobacco Dependence Program,
Rutgers School of Public Health
- $225 non-refundable initial application review fee (download application now!)
- Job Description signed by supervisor and program director
- Program Description signed by program director
- Applicant Resume.
- References: 1 Supervisor from within your facility
- Signed and witnessed authorization and release form
- Signed Statement of Understanding
- Signed Ethical Standard
- Eighteen (18) hours of continuing education on tobacco dependence
treatment every two (2) years
- $225 non-refundable recertification fee (download application now!)
- Submission of recertification application
CTTS Home | Overview | Who Should Attend This Training? | Curriculum | Prerequisites, Certification Process & Recertification Requirements
Continuing Education Credits | Training Fees | Training Registration | Comments of Past Attendees